Installation & Upgrade¶
Once pyATS is installed:
pip install genie
For Cisco employee, you might need to source the proxy first source /auto/pyats/bin/lab_proxy.csh (or .sh if bash)
This will install the follow packages:
Each package will be explain in this documentation, except the following which can be found in their coresponding documentation:
Genie code base is divided into two sections:
- Feature libraries & SDK
The infrastructure is the core and baseclass of Genie and is released via pip packages. For any question contact us.
Feature libraries & SDK¶
The feature libraries & SDK are user-community owned and developed. When installing Genie, all the libraries are automatically installed with the latest version. To contribute to the library, do the following:
- git clone email@example.com:CiscoTestAutomation/genielibs.git
- pip uninstall genie.libs.conf genie.libs.ops genie.libs.sdk
- cd genielibs
- make develop
Make sure to understand how develop mode works for setuptools.
Once this steps are done, you can develop any changes and send pull request. Here are some rough steps. No exact steps can be given as every scenario is different. Make sure you are familiar with git.
git branch git checkout -b <branch name> # Do the modifications on the file(s) git add <file> git commit -m "some message explaining the change" git push origin branch_name
Genie.libs are divided in 4 main parts.
- pkgs/conf-pkg/src/genie/libs/conf/ - Libraries configuring the topology through Python object attributes
- pkgs/ops-pkg/src/genie/libs/ops/ - Libraries representing the operational state of the topology through object attributes
- pkgs/conf-sdk/src/genie/libs/sdk/ - Libraries creating the pool of Triggers and Verifications
- pkgs/conf-robot/src/genie/libs/robot/ - RobotFramework libraries interacting with Genie
genie.libs.parser is owned by genie.metaparser package genie.libs.telemetry is owned by genie.telemetry package